Job Title: HR Manager/ Total Rewards Manager
Reports to Manager: Laura Wiggins, Associate Director of Human Resources
Position Location: Belmont, CA
This position is an HR Manager role for an experienced HR professional who will be responsible for providing design and implementation for HR functional areas in support of three Nikon businesses: Nikon Precision Inc., Nikon Research Corporation of America and Nikon Ventures Corporation. This person will have a deep knowledge of HR programs and practices including applicable federal and state employment laws and regulations. The Human Resources Manager guides and manages the overall provision of many Human Resources services, policies, and programs to ensure alignment with business strategies and compliance with requirements and regulations. In addition, the HR Manager should focus on process documentation and improvement for all areas of responsibility.
This person must be capable of working with a high degree of business acumen, social awareness and discretion coupled with good judgment, communication and decision making skills. In this position, the candidate will need to have strong organizational skills, be proactive, detailed oriented and have the ability to quickly and effectively handle multiple priorities and assignments. This position will help lead the HR team and will partner closely with internal and external stakeholders including HR team members, Legal Counsel, Finance and Senior Management.
The HR Manager will provide leadership to team of HR professionals to manage and accomplish areas of responsibility, including developing and monitoring annual budgets. The HR Manager will be responsible for the ongoing development of direct reports and other HR team members.
The HR Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Compensation: Structure, strategy and process design, administration and communication
- Maintains compensation information, the company wage and salary structure, pay policies and ensures compensation packages, policies and administration of are up to date, in compliance with regulations, and competitive with benchmark organizations.
- Oversees pay programs within the company including promotions, bonuses and merit increases.
- Leads competitive market research to establish pay practices and pay bands that help to recruit and retain superior staff.
- Monitors all pay practices and systems for effectiveness and cost containment.
- Leads participation in at least one salary survey per year. Monitors best practices in compensation and benefits through research and up-to-date information on available products.
- Benefits: Structure, strategy and design administration, including retirement and health and wellness programs
- Manage the Benefits function to ensure the administration and maintenance of benefits packages. Obtains cost-effective, employee-serving benefits to engage and retain workforce.
- Monitors national benefits environment for options and cost savings.
- Payroll: Administration and compliance
- Manage Payroll function for the organization. Ensure administration of payroll practices are in compliance with new or changing legislation.
- Compliance: Employment, regulatory, federal and state laws and internal policy
- Leads company compliance with all existing governmental and labor legal and government reporting requirements including any related to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Dept of Labor, Worker’s Compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, etc.
- Maintains minimal company exposure to lawsuits.
- Coordinates HR compliance training programs for managers and employees. Provides necessary education and materials to managers and employees including workshops, manuals, employee handbooks and standardized reports.
- Keep managers informed and up to date on their duties and responsibilities around maintaining a harassment free workplace, antidiscrimination regulations, and other obligations for creating a safe and productive workplace for employees.
- Policy development, documentation and communications
- Develops and administers programs, procedures, and guidelines to help align the workforce with the strategic goals of the company.
- Formulates and recommends Human Resources policies and objectives for the company on any topic associated with employee relations and employee rights.
- Maintains and ensures the existing company policies and HR related programs and processes are up-to-date, documented and are communicated clearly and in a timely manner to employees and management.
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Develops and implements effective diversity and inclusion strategic goals and programs to support create and sustain an inclusive work environment
- Assess appropriate diversity outreach programs to support employee pipeline development and hiring needs.
- Mobility: International and long-term domestic assignments
- Manages and administers expatriate or immigration programs, working closely with employees on regulations and paperwork required for international assignments to and from the US.
- Manages and administers long term domestic assignments and relocation, working closely with employees and management on regulations, process and policy.
- HR Systems and Vendor Management
- Responsible for effective HR system use and implementation including HRIS, Workforce Management (timekeeping),
- Selects and supervises Human Resources consultants, attorneys, and training specialists, and coordinates company use of insurance brokers, insurance carriers, pension administrators, and other outside sources.
- HR Analytics and Metrics
- Establishes people-related metrics that support the accomplishment of the company’s strategic goals
- Develops HR analytics capabilities to facilitate data-driven decision making. Prepares periodic reports for HR and management to monitor trends and/or track strategic goal accomplishment.
- Utilizes the HR systems to provide reports, analyze data, eliminate administrative tasks and meet other needs of the organization. Manages the preparation and maintenance of such reports as necessary to carry out the functions of the department.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field
- Team-oriented leadership, highly collaborative and works very well with others in a team environment
- Pragmatic problem solving skills
- Change agent, track record of successful process improvement and ability to influence positive change.
- Able to analyze data to develop recommended solutions
- Demonstrated ability to manage, energize and develop HR employees
- Highly effective communicator. Able to convey complex qualitative and quantitative information to influence decision making and/or inform all levels within an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a trusted resource to the executive management team that provides overall company leadership and direction.
- High standard of attention to detail
- Commitment to customer and employee service
- Continuous learner, focused on continuous improvement of self and areas of responsibility.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Windows environment. Must include knowledge and demonstrated ability of Microsoft Excel and Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS)
- Knowledge, understanding and demonstrated ability to interpret various employment laws and practices and experience working with a corporate employment law attorney
- Demonstrated ability and experience in the administration of benefits, retirement and compensation programs and other Human Resources recognition and engagement programs and processes.
- Ability to manage time and prioritize work
- Ability to travel 25% or more to our domestic field site locations and potentially internationally
- Master’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification
- Certified Compensation Professional
- Specialized training and in-depth knowledge of federal and state employment law and regulations with emphasis on wage & hour, ERISA and compensation
- 8+ years of progressive leadership experience in Corporate Human Resources positions.
- Active affiliation with appropriate Human Resources networks and organizations and ongoing community involvement.